Thursday, February 26, 2009

Win a Date With Robbie Alomar Jr!

A few days ago we were provided with a brief respite from the harsh Chicago winter we’ve been having. With temperatures climbing into the 50’s, people flocked to the streets and parks to make the most of the clement weather. Being the diligent student that I am, I didn’t let the warm weather keep me from my studies. However, on my way to class, I saw an unfortunate group of Mexican adolescents taking turns riding one skateboard and a group of frat boys exercising their latent homo-erotic tendencies in a game of tackle football. Seeing all this rigorous activity put me into a contemplative mood.

It reminded me that when I moved here, I left behind the two entities that were single-handedly keeping me from looking like this. Of course I’m referring to my baseball and basketball teams, the state champion Indians and the 2008 Slo-Break champion Drifters. Prior to moving, my teammates made me bury my rec-specs and swear never to don them again in a ritual that was reminiscent of one of my favorite sequels of all-time. Not wanting to be forever branded a rec-league slut, I’ve faithfully kept my pledge. After all, if I went back on my word, it might result in an exceedingly awkward scene similar to this one.

However, by maintaining my chastity, I’ve been left with a huge void in my life. After watching my fellow Chicagoans enjoy the warm weather, it became painfully obvious to me that I need an activity to replace my old teams. Without these teams, my most rigorous activities consist of moving from the couch to the recliner to avoid Lori’s vacuum and walking down the street each day to see which starting line-up action figures have been put in the $1 box outside of the toy collectible store (I’ve already got quite a collection going. I hit the jackpot by finding Jose Canseco and Roberto Alomar. I’m hoping the Robbie Alomar action figure really appreciates in value once this story finally gets picked up by the mainstream media).

You would think that acquiring a new hobby would be a fairly simple endeavor. This is not the case. The problem is that my entire life has been dedicated to excelling at team sports. If you don’t count the one winter I was in the glee club, nearly every moment not spent in school was spent travelling to or participating in a team sport. Since this is now out of the question, I’m not sure what activities to pursue.

Recently I’ve dabbled in gambling on horse-racing. This seemed promising for a while. However, when I learned that Illinois Off-Track Betting parlors have liquor licenses, I quickly gave up this pursuit. To maintain some semblance of order in my life, I’ve always tried to keep my vices at a healthy distance from each other (unless of course you count the time that ABC Family inexplicably ran a Gilmore Girl’s marathon on St. Patrick’s Day, in which case it couldn’t be avoided).

After my foray into horse-racing hit a snare, I decided I needed some guidance in this quest. So I decided to consult Lori. Knowing me better than anyone else, I figured she might have some insights into an activity that would be appropriate for me. However I should have known better than to consult someone who thinks learning to discuss eczema and shingles in 4 different Eastern European languages is a fun-filled pursuit. She was very quick to make some completely absurd suggestions. She thought I might enjoy taking classes to become a notary public. While these fine men and women provide a valuable function in our society, I wasn’t too keen on the idea of rushing to join their ranks. When I scoffed at this suggestion, she quickly countered with another equally fruitless idea. She thought I might enjoy taking classes to become a hypnotist. I'm not even going to comment on that one.

So with few enticing options being put forth here in Chicago, I thought I’d enlist the help of the JohnClaytonisarobot galaxy. I’m asking that you all take the time to brainstorm and come up with some ideas as to what my new hobby/activity should be. Please post these suggestions via the comments section. I’m at a loss for ideas and your input would be greatly appreciated. In fact, I'm so desperate that the reader with the best suggestion will win a Roberto Alomar Jr. starting line up action figure still in the original packaging. Just think...this prize could prove to be your retirement nest egg if Robbie continues to wage war on women with his AIDS stick.

26 comments:

KHebs said...

You've always been one for table tennis (although you did go down in the Northshore Regional Championship of 2002)...check your local Y for leagues.

KHebs said...

PS - "AIDS stick?" Really?

T.O. said...

Hebble,

That was actually the most pc term I could come up with when referring to an instrumet used to intentionally spread AIDS.

santa said...

scrapbooking

Anonymous said...

spring, summer and fall you play bocce. winter time you dress up as santa.

mr blazeted said...

hunting and gathering

T.O. said...

There is a weekly game of bocce at the park around the corner from my place. Not being able to speak German could be a hindrance though.

FRA Jr said...

First of all, I love the use of the under appreciated "clement" to describe the weather. Although it does beg the question as to why other words aren't derived from fun roots, or at least aren't regularly used (e.g. (re)juvenate, (dis)gruntled, etc).

I think you should find a Guinness World Record that you could try to break. Think back to the gum wrapper chain that the Lake Nanuet staff was working on during our childhood (didn't we see the end result on the boardwalk in Wildwood?). This gives you something to pass the time, the drive to be better than someone else, all while enjoying one of your favorite beverages! It's a win-win-win.

T.O. said...

Frank,

I like the Guiness record idea. What record should I go for?

I totally agree about "clement." The rough draft of this post included a line about how you always hear inclement, but never clement. I commented on this to Lori and she said it was a moronic observation. Given the fact that she's a linguist by training, I deleted it.

Furthermore, I will definitly start using gruntled as much as possible.

mr blazeted said...

you could continue collecting bottle caps and build the worlds largest object made of bottle caps. I'd also like you to use the word "grundle" more.

KHebs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KHebs said...

Then of course, there is the quintessential Chicago summer sport: Men's 16 inch Softball...you were born to play.

Anonymous said...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2050555_become-republican-party-volunteer.html

Anonymous said...

I think you should spend every waking hour stalking David Schwimmer.

Jizz said...

Spend your time working on one of life's greatest mysteries, making the perfect plate of nachos. Too many restaurants and bars f this up. You have a passion for eating them, why not tinker with ingredients until you can find the perfect combination.

Sean O'D said...

You and Lori could try to set the world record for most time spent on a teeter-totter (aka see-saw) ala Cindy and Bobby from the Brady Bunch.

Or you could go after a classic video game record ala the geeks in "King of Kong" (you must rent this if you haven't seen it yet).

Unknown said...

Is the word contemplative in the first paragraph being used to describe the act of "thinking about little sweaty mexican adolescents being tackled by fit frat boys in fits of love filled rage out in the park...," because thats what i am thinking about....

In regards to the pursuit of sports, you might consider curling. I think you might actually look very nice sliding down the ice, sweeping away... Nice, of course, being used to describe my homo-erotic dream of a nice young stallion such as yourself sliding closer and closer, yelling incessantly, "sweep sweep sweep." I'm getting all hot and bothered thinking about this.

No seriously, you should think about it. Vancouver is not that far away. There might be still time to prepare.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you might just take to watching little mexicans run around the park....

But then that park would soon prove not to be big enough for the both of us, because as you might guess, thats where I will be. And thats what I'll be dreaming about. And if you think you are going to take my little mexicans away from me, there is gonna be a problem.

Unknown said...

BTW... Thanks anonymous for that Republican volunteer site... My dreams of little mexican boys have turned out to be quite popular there.

KillerCross said...

forget being funny or clever or outrageous. because i love you, and want you to be truly happy, i have found you a legitimate, and dare i say, perfect pastime. your love for the english language and your impressive vocabulary, combined with the ease of pursuing this hobby make it perfect for you. whether on a plane traveling from IL to NY, waiting for class to begin (or end), or sitting in a local coffee shop as you college kids often do, you can engage in a meaningful, stimulating, challenging, and fun pastime. crossword puzzles. think about it. really.

Unknown said...

- make beer
- learn to play accordion or harmonica
- beat box
- break dancing
- movie watching (watch all of afi top 100, use this forum to create your own top 10 lists)
- become a fooseball master
- collect vinyl
- let baseball/fantasy baseball consume your life
- stand up comedy

FRA Jr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FRA Jr said...

brewing beer or distilling liquor is another great option for you AND lori. it's a hobby that involves alcohol and a little bit of alchemy. the outcome is something you get to enjoy beyond the process of actually making it. you can share the product with friends and you can always tweak the recipe to improve upon or just change up the taste. plus it is something that you can casually do while reading, watching tv, or playing wii. everyone wins!

FRA Jr said...

oh! and you can start another contest where we get to help name your new concoction... things like branchville brew, vc swill, chitown vodka, aids stick ale, etc. this could be the start of the next pete's wicked, magic hat, or sam adams.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

How does one go about getting one of their comments deleted by the author?

I wrote about little mexican boys... Does that not qualify?

Or does it have to be more something like... Tom, I suggest you go down to the local strip club, and see if they have any openings. Only do it for a day so youtube confirmation can be made, and then go back to the park for intimate frat on mexican action.

How about joining the group acorn? They and disney characters are directly responsible for Obama's election..., and who doesn't like Obama.... He's messiah-ish.

Or go join Reverend Wright's church... Then you can be that white guy who claps like...

I have a feeling these are not incendiary enough, and I will do my best to have the esteemed privilege of reading, "Comment Deleted by author."

Unknown said...

Son of a bitch...

John Clayton is a Robot Technical Note: If you, as a subscriber, and/or "comment maker," decide to delete your own comment, then technically that comment has been deleted by the author, i.e. the author of the comment, not the blog.